The throat chakra, found in the throat is the fifth chakra and associated with communication. It is the energy center through which you express personal truth, communicate in general, and speak your highest truth. It is the connection to the divine plan, the fifth dimensional level. This article will focus on the importance of this chakra and how to restore flow to it.
Written in Sanskrit, the throat chakra is called Vishuddha meaning especially pure. Located in the throat area and governs the neck, mouth, and tongue. However, on the physical level it is associated with the teeth and gums, thyroid, nasal passages, and hearing. Since it functions as the communication center, it governs the ability to speak truth openly, but also the ability to understand needs and desires while communicating them. It is the chakra of self-expression and can be called the crossroads between the head and heart. This makes it a mediator of thoughts and emotions. When balanced, the throat chakra allows you to freely and effortlessly express yourself in true and pure ways. An imbalance or blockage manifests in excessive talking, dishonesty, arrogance, poor listening, fear, gossiping, and manipulative behavior.
What Causes Blockages?
When the throat chakra is blocked, you may lack confidence and struggle to express feelings, ideas, and thoughts. You may even experience frustration when it comes to expressing personal feelings. You may struggle for words when something could be lost if vocalized incorrectly. You may even fear offending someone or being ridiculed. Deficiencies in the fifth chakra can contribute to physical ailments such as a thyroid imbalance, tonsillitis, hearing problems, asthma, or ear infections.
Link to the Spiritual Plane
The throat chakra is linked to the causal plane, a high spiritual plane of existence. This causal body is highly subtle. When you align yourself with the divine plan through the fifth chakra, it holds the essence of purity without ego and aspirations. Seek to heal the throat chakra to be able to effectively express yourself creatively and freely in the day to day. Pursuing higher spiritual goals can amplify the subtle body and help you become further attuned to the divine plan for the soul. Before embarking on the journey of healing, it is important to start from the zero point of total clarity which is where you stand at the moment.
Manifesting a Block or Imbalance
Ask yourself the following questions to determine if a block exists. Answering yes to one or more can mean a block exists and can build.
- Am I talkative?
- Do I manipulate with words?
- Am I a gossip?
- Am I a poor listener or truly interested with a positive intention?
- Am I generally honest?
- Can I openly admit my wrongdoings before confrontation?
- Do I exaggerate unnecessarily?
- Am I a powerful speaker?
- Can I speak the truth without fear?
- Can I easily and freely express feelings, thoughts, and emotions?
If these apply to you, write down an intention to heal the damaged or blocked throat chakra.
Healing the Throat Chakra
When you are ready to heal the throat chakra, try some of the following techniques.
Using a great affirmation each day can relate to authenticity and open communication. You can choose any positive mantra, but a few are included below to help you get started.
- I use my words to create beauty in the world.
- I am balanced in speaking and listening.
- I set clear boundaries.
- I am confident in speaking my mind.
- I am an active listener.
Singing is a wonderful and beautiful way to clear the throat chakra. Sing in the shower, continue in the car, and keep it going until you reach work. This is purely a physical level blockage removal technique. It helps you voice your truth into the world. If you desire, combine singing and your mantra to clear your throat in dual manners. This is because mantras hold sacred vibrational energies that connect you to your personal essence.
The throat chakra governs the mouth, tongue, and throat so eating effects it. Whatever you eat can create blockages. A blockage of the throat chakra can affect your relationship with food in negative ways. For example, emotional eating may occur as a reaction to being unable to express fears, concerns, and emotions. To practice mindful eating, slow down and use all the senses to really enjoy your healthy food options. This will open up the chakra and help you be more communicative.
The throat chakra is located in and associated with the throat and neck, as well as the nasal passages. On the physical level, essential oils can help unblock it as they invigorate energy through the nasal passages as you deeply inhale the aroma. The best oils are shared below.
- Frankincense – Especially useful for underactive thyroid, it amplifies spiritual awareness and divine connection
- Geranium – This is perfect for soothing sore throats, clearing oily skin, or moving stagnant energy out of the body. Geranium helps you connect to emotions and grow in your ability to freely express thoughts, emotions, and feeling.
- Jasmine – This helps the voice, especially when hoarse, but also heals the pain and wounds around intimacy and relationships.
- Sage – This is the master healer and is beneficial to gum disease. On the emotional level, it eases mental patterns and negative emotion.
- Peppermint – This invigorates self-expression and creativity.
- Clove – Clove is warm and spicy, traditionally used for tooth, gum, and mouth healing. It can help regulate the thyroid gland and promote a sense of security.
Blue is the color of the throat chakra, so focus on celestial blue. Inhale as you visualize the blue light filling the throat area and cleansing it. As you exhale, release stress and tension.
Guided meditation can activate the throat chakra. There are many online guided meditations, but one is shared below for healing the throat chakra.
- Sit in a comfortable position with closed eyes.
- Notice and align your thoughts with each breath that enters through the nostrils and passes down the through into the lungs.
- Exhale slowly out of the mouth making the “hum: sound as the air leaves the body.
- On the inhale, make the so sound.
- Continue this as a chant as you relax more and more.
Expressing yourself in writing is cathartic as you release your inner truth and feelings. This also invites insight, growth, and understanding into your life as you dig deeper. SO take pen to paper and start the healing.
Another tool to utilize for healing is crystals. These do not need to be directly on the throat to be effective, you can simply carry them. You can also keep one at your work station or sleep with one under your pillow for healing.
Since the color blue is associated with the throat chakra, any blue crystal will be beneficial, but some of the best choices are kyanite, sodalite, blue apatite, aquamarine, or blue lace agate.
Try these techniques and watch as your throat chakra heals and self-expression is no longer as limited.